Our almost teen had an awesome day today. He was lucky enough to be one of a group of 10 that had a masterclass with James Morrison this afternoon. James was extremely generous with his time and spent almost an hour and a half revealing some of the secrets of his success:
- Hear the notes you want to play in your head before you play them
- Play your instrument as much as you can (more play than practice)
- Ask yourself the right questions (ask how you can do something, not why you don’t)
- Get out there and let others hear you as often as possible
- Play with confidence – if something goes wrong, turn it around to your advantage
- Don’t push your trumpet against your mouth – the note won’t come out
- Listen and play and don’t worry if you don’t get it right first time
- Listen to good players lots and listen to the pieces you want to play being played by someone else – otherwise you will only be as good as you are not as good as you could be.
Fantastic day and James was awesome – he didn’t finish until 6pm (1.5 hours after he was supposed to finish).
Here are some pics and vids: